Your responsibilities

Outlines your responsibilities on when you need to use an LBP.

Most building plans that need building consent from your council will include restricted building work (RBW) – but not all.

If it doesn’t involve work to the home’s primary structure, weathertightness or design of fire safety systems, it’s not restricted building work.

You need to think about RBW as soon as you start thinking about getting the work done. If you are hiring a designer, be sure to hire someone who can do RBW.

Your designer must be an LBP, registered architect or chartered professional engineer (they are treated as LBPs for design services) to do restricted building work.

When the work is RBW you need to:

  • employ licensed building practitioners (LBPs) to do or supervise the work:
    1. Designers (Registered Architects and Chartered Professional Engineers can also do Design RBW)
    2. Carpenters
    3. Roofers
    4. Brick and blocklayers
    5. External plasterers
    6. Foundation specialists.
  • stipulate who the LBP is in your building consent application to the council. If you don’t have this information when you send in your application, you must let the council know before RBW starts
  • tell the council if you replace the LBP
  • make sure the LBP gives you a completed ‘record of building work’ when they’ve finished their part of the job
  • provide a copy to the council as part of your code compliance certificate (CCC) application.

Restricted building work has more information.

Why use an LBP

Hiring good professionals to help you can be crucial to the whole building experience. Licensed building practitioners (LBPs) have undergone a robust application process, including a written application, verbal testing by proficient assessors, and referees’ confirmation of their work. They keep up with the changing industry and undergo continuous skills maintenance.

Managing building projects

If you do not want to manage the building project yourself then you may want to consider engaging a Site LBP.

A Site licence shows competency in organising and managing building projects. This includes having up to date knowledge of regulatory requirements, technical knowledge of construction methods and practices, managing personnel and providing technical supervision.

When you undertake a building project make certain that your designer is licensed or is a registered architect or a chartered professional engineer.

Design work that includes RBW may not be submitted by an unlicensed person and will need to be checked by a licensed designer; registered architect or chartered professional engineer.