Updates to LBP self-service portal, communications and licence packs in mid-2022
The Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE) is upgrading the LBP self-service portal in mid-2022. This upgrade is part of a wider MBIE initiative to modernise and improve security for our services.
As a result of this upgrade, we are changing the way we communicate with LBPs, and the format of the licence packs.
What is changing?
1. New self-service portal
If you currently use the self-service portal, all your information will be transferred to the new portal. The new portal will look different, but you will still be able to use it for key tasks, such as renewing your licence, suspending your licence, and recording evidence of on-the-job experience. To access the new portal, you will need an invitation email. We will provide more details closer to our release date.
When you first log in, you will be able to choose to use a Google or Microsoft account. You will still be able to use a RealMe account if that’s your preference.
2. We’re moving communications online
If you have provided us with an email address, all future communications will be via email, and you will no longer receive updates from us by post.
We encourage all LBPs to provide us with an email address, so that we can send you timely and important notices, such as:
- automated notifications about licensing and/or renewal,
- updates about upcoming changes to the LBP self-service portal, and
- urgent notifications and announcements.
3. New digital licence packs
After you renew your registration, you will be able to download a PDF copy of your licence, which will show your photo and your licence details. You can choose to print it or save it on your smart phone. This PDF will have a QR code, which your customers can scan to verify your status on the LBP Register. We will no longer send physical ID cards by post. We will provide more details closer to our release date.
What do I need to do now?
If we have your current email address on record, you do not need to take any further action at this time.
If we do not have your current email address, we encourage you to provide this. You can:
- visit our online request for contact details form and complete our online form. You will need to provide your name, licence number, phone number and email address, or
- download and complete our Change of Details form, ensuring you include your email address. The form is available below and includes instructions on how you can return your completed form to us.
Please note that if you do not provide an email address, you will continue to receive updates and licence packs by post in the interim. However, in the long term we will be moving towards only providing these electronically.
We will continue to provide more details about the new LBP self-service portal, including instructions and reference material, as we move closer to our release date.