When you need an LBP

If you’re thinking of getting building or renovation work done on your house or apartment, you need to check if it is Restricted Building Work (RBW).

RBW is work that is critical to make a home structurally sound and weathertight.

If it is RBW, you must use a Licensed Building Practitioner (LBP) to design, or carry out, or supervise the building work.

The Building Performance website has useful information on using licensed people for your building work(external link)

You also need to ensure your building project is legal. This will help avoid potentially costly mistakes or delays and ensure your property is safe, healthy, and durable. 

Find out about your rights and obligations in the consenting process(external link)

Code of ethics

All LBPs must comply with the code of ethics, which sets behavioural standards for LBPs. It provides the public with confidence that LBPs are undertaking building work in a safe, legal, and professional way, and that LBPs will take responsibility for their work.

If an LBP does not comply with their obligations under the code of ethics, a complaint can be made against them which may result in disciplinary action by the Building Practitioners Board.

Information about the code of ethics, including how to make a complaint, and access to education resources